if i sing around you i am 150% comfortable with you because i fucking hate my singing voice
Baikal Lake Ice by Daniel Korzhonov
With having to experience humidity again, I’m so tempted to just chop my hair off (though this still probably wouldn’t stop it from turning into frizzy curls as it is right now).
But then I remind myself…
how will I ever do the Carol Danvers Captain Marvel hair if I don’t let it keep growing?
It’s hard out there for a nerd.
Greek Pantheon- Jemma Salume
Hades, Persephone and Cerberus.
(Ignore the video.)
Lyrics Born - Bad Dreams
Another song discovered via Pandora. Seriously, that AWOLNATION station is the best thing ever. I’ve fine tuned it into awesome.
I haven’t listened to anything else by this band yet, but I should. I love music that sounds like it’s…forcing itself to exist? If that makes sense? That almost hesitant thud in your ears, breaking silence and becoming a beat you both feel AND hear plodding through. It may be a combination of the rhythm, rough vocals, divine back up singers, and the oh so glorious tempo changes — like the dj let their hand drag on the record.
And yet another song that I couldn’t help but associate with Tony. I really should make a fanmix for that jerk. Fits especially well for Iron Man 3.
Lana Del Rey - Young and Beautiful
I don’t know why I haven’t looked up more of Lana Del Rey’s music as I’ve really liked everything I’ve heard. I hadn’t heard this song until today on Pandora, and I kind of had this overwhelming moment at work. Really, I can’t listen listen to this song without having some kind of emotional spasm.
I’m going to blame that on suddenly thinking of Tony and Steve for some reason? Superhusbands, stop leaking into my brain, I swear. All from Tony’s POV except the bit about being DIAMONDS. That’s Steve. In my head. It’s kind of heartbreaking, okay?
Oh, and apparently it’s on The Great Gatsby soundtrack. I didn’t know it until looking it up just now.
REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD READ THE ABHORSEN CHRONICLES:
- BADASS FEMALE PROTAGONISTS: from Sabriel the prefect of an all-girls school to Lirael a shy librarian both of whom turn into duty-bound zombie killing soldier priests who rescue princes and battle necromancers and fight against what is effectively a trapped god, you can keep your Hermione’s and Katniss Everdeen’s thanx (and can we just talk about how the girls in the school TOTALLY JUMP INTO HELP THE SOLDIERS AGAINST KERRIGOR DESPITE KNOWING THEY’RE PROBABLY GOING TO DIE??)
- INCREDIBLE WORLD BUILDING: set in two neighbouring kingdoms - one resembling 1930’s britain the other a medieval fantasy realm that’s fallen into anarchy plagued by Death NOT TO MENTION the world-weary soldiers manning the wall who are sick of your necromantic bullshit
- TALKING ANIMAL COMPANIONS: not as cheesy as you think, since one is a sarcastic cat spirit who is scary as fuck when his true form is revealed and the other a wizened grandmotherly-like dog who rips out undead throats
- COOL MAGIC: though it’s complicated it isn’t once confusing and you can’t beat dual sword-and-bell wielding, bells that can land you into death modeled after the Egyptian afterlife
- GREAT CHARACTERS AND DEVELOPMENT: all the characters are forced to carry a duty and some succeed whilst others don’t but that’s okay because being born into a society doesn’t necessarily mean you belong there
- GOOD ROMANCE: it’s subtle and forged out of friendship and trust and doesn’t define any of the characters or control any of the events in the story
- NEW BOOKS COMING SOON: including Clariel which is a prequel based on Chlorr of the Mask WHO WAS AN ABHORSEN WHO TURNED EVIL!! like how awesome does that sound give me all the downward spirals for female necromancers AND there’s apparently going to be a sequel to the series too!!
- POSSIBLE FILM IN THE MAKING: which means if you wanna get on that fandom first get on it now
- IT’S JUST REALLY GREAT?? despite it being marketed as a YA book it’s still riveting and mature enough for older audiences (I think I might appreciate it more now that I’m older tbh) just UNF
PREQUELS SEQUELS MOVIES? HOLY HELLS BELLS YES.
HELL’S BELLS….. HAHAHAHA
Nicola Samori (b. 1977). Italian.
Nicola Samori is fucking incredible. He works out of Italy, and he’s managed to nail the style of the Old Masters: his exhibitions contain everything from beautiful Baroque saints to Flemish still lifes — all painted now, in the modern era, in his studio. And that would be amazing in and of itself, but his work is so much more than simple reproduction. See, once he’s finished with a painting, or once he’s adapted one that’s been previously created, he takes a scalpel to it, a spatula, or a square of sandpaper, and begins to peel it apart. He flays painted skin right off his subjects’ bones.
Sometimes the “destruction” of the images asks the audience to think about what, exactly, the painting communicates when it’s whole. Other times it adds a strange level of corporeality to religious works, or gives portraits a darkly spiritual dimention they never had before.
He’s said in interviews that he views the layers of paint on the canvas as analogous to the muscle and tissue of the human body, and that by wearing it away, he changes the identity of the paintings themselves.
Dark and sometimes chilling as it is, I think his work is genuinely brilliant, and he’s one of my favorite living artists.
(Long story short, here’s his website, go check it out!)
reblogging these again because yes